Want to learn how to make the Last Word? This herbal, complex, tart cocktail is delightful and simple to make. It’s 4 ingredients, equal parts. The Last Word is one Sean’s personal favorites (and was his featured wedding cocktail), so we hope you enjoy it!
The Last Word is a Prohibition-era cocktail created in the Detroit Athletic Club bar in the 1920’s. If you like the Last Word, and you’re into smoky cocktails, then you can also consider swapping out the gin for mezcal to create a Last of the Oaxacans.
This is a shaken cocktail, so you’re going to need the basics for any shaken drink. If you don’t have some of these tools, then check out our barware kits.
- Jigger – to measure the ingredients
- Knife – to cut the citrus
- Hand Juicer – to juice the citrus
- Cocktail Shaker – to shake the ingredients with ice
- Hawthorne Strainer – to strain the cocktail into your serving glass
- Serving Glass – to serve the cocktail (for this cocktail, we recommend a coupe or martini glass)
- 0.75 oz gin (check out our buying guide for some recommendations)
- 0.75 oz Green Chartreuse
- 0.75 oz maraschino liqueur
- 0.75 oz lime juice
- Combine all of the ingredients into your cocktail shaker
- Shake with ice
- Strain into your serving glass
- Serve and enjoy!